Plan 9 license

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Wed Aug 23 13:07:53 UTC 2000

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

> As Brian Behlendorf pointed out, this list is concerned with
> OSD-compliance, not with anyone's definition of free software.

All things being equal, I think the community prefers (and should
prefer) to see licenses that are both Free (non-TM) and Open Source (non-TM).
I therefore feel free to discuss both Freedom and Open-Sourcity here.

For that matter, it is better if licenses are not only these things,
but Fair (non-TM), too.  So I will also discuss points that seem to
me un-Fair (i.e. "we can do what we want with your changes, you
can't", or "this license is automatically construed in our favor").

> The DFSG are of course substantially identical to the OSD -- which I'll
> mention in some forlorn hope of wrestling us back on-topic.

Pending a complaint from the list owners, I think we *are* on topic.

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
"[O]n the whole I'd rather make love than shoot guns [...]"
	--Eric Raymond