Plan 9 license

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Sun Aug 20 16:04:11 UTC 2000

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Kenneth Stephen wrote:

> 	Has this list already discussed the Plan 9 license (
> http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/plan9dist/license.html )? If so, could
> someone tell me whether it is considered open-sources or point me to the
> relevent messages in the archives (is there an web interface to the
> archives?).

We have.  I don't know where the archives may be, so I'll summarize.
RMS has opined that the Plan 9 license is unfree, and it does contain
several rather dodgy provisions.  In my personal opinion, these are
a matter of sloppy drafting rather than pernicious intent:

1) Lucent reserves the right to demand source code for your private
undistributed modifications;

2) commercial redistribution can only be for a "reasonable" price,
an undefined term that might lead to trouble later;

3) the license conditions are reimposed on your distributees, which
suggests that you must have an explicit contract with them (I think
RMS is overdoing it here);

4) the retaliation clause causes you to lose all rights if you sue Lucent
on any IP matter whatever, even if it has nothing to do with Plan 9;

5) the license imposes the U.S. export regulations on you if you export
the software, even if they would not otherwise apply as a matter of law.

The Lucida fonts bundled with Plan 9 are definitely not free, but
nothing compels you to use or redistribute them (they cannot be
modified or redistributed except as part of Plan 9).

John Cowan                                   cowan at ccil.org
C'est la` pourtant que se livre le sens du dire, de ce que, s'y conjuguant
le nyania qui bruit des sexes en compagnie, il supplee a ce qu'entre eux,
de rapport nyait pas.               -- Jacques Lacan, "L'Etourdit"