License Approval Process

Alexandra White awhite at valinux.com
Thu Aug 17 23:33:46 UTC 2000

I wanted to get some feedback about the best way to assist in
streamlining OSI license approval for customers.

1) For instance, we have a number of customers who we are helping to
take their code to the open source and thus are assisting in getting OSI
approval for them.  While we encourage them to use existing open source
licenses rather than creating their own, many want to simply rename the
license with their product name but keep the license identical. Thus,
they could label it "Acme Software License (BSD)"  In this case, can we
assume that the license is OSI-approved?

2) What minor changes to an existing OSI license are acceptable without
seeking approval?

2) In the cases where a customer does need OSI approval, how can I help
them expedite the process to get a timely response?  For example, I
submitted a license on June 9 for Cadence and have not heard any
feedback on its progress.

I appreciate your help on this matter.  Thank you.

--
Alexandra White
VA Linux Professional Services