Public Domain and liability

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Tue Aug 15 02:06:38 UTC 2000

You do raise an interesting question. The answered may involve a fair use
analysis but, I would be very careful about how I use a work accessed as a
result of the works' "public record" or FOIA status. I doubt that all of the
documents you may obtain in a carefully constructed FOIA request could be
further redistributed without the pertinent permissions.  One consideration
is that a FOIA request may lead to documents in government records that were
not created by the government.  While a work provided under a FOIA request
and a public domain work created by a government employee (let's say Federal
worker to keep the example simple) may seem like a similar classification,
in fact, they are quite different. A FOIA request could quite easily result
in access to a work that is copyright protected depending on what is in the
file that is the object of the request.

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden