Rebranding OSI.

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sun Aug 13 07:22:21 UTC 2000

On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Ross N. Williams wrote:

> >Aargh! To me an ant does not represent cooperation, it represents
> >mindless labor and regimentation, and communism.
>
> And your point is?! :-)

A mascot should represent how we view ourselves, not how idiot
reporters see us :-P

> >Platypus. Resurrect the old Linux mascot from the dustbin of obscurity.
> >It represents many different parts pieced together into a whole. And
> >it's easy to create a cartoonish and friendly image from.
>
> I like this one, but I'm not sure they're terribly cooperative or
> social creatures. Every time some naturalist finds one, it's the
> only one within 2000 miles and they get a Nobel prize for finding it.
> As far as anyone knows, platypuses breed using mail-order IVF.

Well, they're not *that* rare. Let's see, platypus traits that fit the
hacker community...

Duck bill to represent bottom feeding, beaver tail to represent what
they rarely get, and poison claws to represent their typical usenet
post. Oh, and they lay eggs, as many of us have done to our chagrin :-)

--
David Johnson