Rebranding OSI.

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Sun Aug 13 04:00:49 UTC 2000

On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Ross N. Williams wrote:

> What's needed is an animal that represents cooperation.
>
> How about an ant?

Aargh! To me an ant does not represent cooperation, it represents
mindless labor and regimentation, and communism. Plus, it is already
the mascot for AbiSource. I would feel the same about most other
colonial insects, including termites and bees.

But your idea of a mascot is a good one. Off the top of my head,
here's some ideas for cooperation from the animal kingdom:

Wolf. Pack behavior is cooperation, and people don't think of wolves
as lowly workers tirelessly working for the unseen queen. They actually
have individual traits, and can survive on their own.

Dolphin. Not only to they cooperate, they are also one of the few
animals that share. And they're intensely individualists (at least
that's the general perception) while still operating within a community
of sorts.

Platypus. Resurrect the old Linux mascot from the dustbin of obscurity.
It represents many different parts pieced together into a whole. And
it's easy to create a cartoonish and friendly image from.

And some non-serious ideas :-)

Remora. Hitching a free ride off of others.

Porcupine. Aptly suits the hacker stereotype.

--
David Johnson