Public Domain and liability

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Wed Aug 9 03:07:10 UTC 2000

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000, Brice, Richard wrote:
> It is my understanding that State government is not bound by the same
> "public domain" requirements as the Federal government in 17 USC 105. That
> is, because States are not explicitly included in the exclusions of who can
> hold copyrights, States have the right to copyright their works.
>
> Given that, what are your thoughts on States using an open source license on
> software they develop?

Given that you're asking for thoughts and opinions: mine is that they
should be public domain only. When taxpayers' money is used to create
anything, everyone should benefit. It doesn't matter to me if they are
individuals, corporations, altruists or selfish scum, they all paid to
get the software developed.

--
David Johnson