Does linux use GPL or not??

SamBC sambc at nights.force9.co.uk
Tue Aug 8 16:59:06 UTC 2000

<SNIP>

> Sorry, but I have to point this out because it is misleading, if you buy a
> boxed set of RH software, and go about duplicating it, then selling it, I
> am afraid your are breaking the law , RH does not give anyone the right to
> duplicate its boxed set AFAIK and understand, ask   legal at redhat.com

If you duplicate the printed media (manuals) this is illegal. However, the
CD-ROM in *most* box-set is the same as the downloadable ISO, so you can
copy it freely as the content (which is all you copy) is GPL'd. Of course,
in the case of some distro's one or more CD-ROM edition has non-GPL
components included, and these may not be copied.

> You can however duplicate the downloadable ISO till your hearts content,
> you would still have to be careful of word usage when selling though

You could say "RedHat Linux 6.2 GPL", just don't use the word 'Official',
which implies they get the technical support.

> Also I really wish people did interpret free as "freedom" not free as in
> "free lunch" or "beer"

Yes, people are free to do what they want with it - including copy & sell
it, as long as it is all GPL'd, as it is in many distributions (eg Debian)

SamBC