Does linux use GPL or not??

Greg Wright greg at ausit.com
Tue Aug 8 06:26:18 UTC 2000

On 7/08/00 at 21:57 David Johnson wrote:

<snip>

>> In some countries, the copyright is some of the most frequently
violated.
>> Most of the microsoft (and other commercial software..) are pirated.
>> Have you heard about Linux pirated??
>
>There is no point in pirating Linux. It is already free with no cost.
>There is nothing wrong with purchasing a $80 boxed set of Redhat and
>making a million copies of it, selling them for $1 each. There may be a
>trademark violation if these copies are sold as "official" Redhat
>distributions, but there is still very little reason to do this.
>
>Overall, there is very little incentive to pirate Linux. It is a
>completely different class of software than Windows. As I like to say,
>"you can't steal what is free".

Sorry, but I have to point this out because it is misleading, if you buy a
boxed set of RH software, and go about duplicating it, then selling it, I
am afraid your are breaking the law , RH does not give anyone the right to
duplicate its boxed set AFAIK and understand, ask   legal at redhat.com

You can however duplicate the downloadable ISO till your hearts content,
you would still have to be careful of word usage when selling though

Also I really wish people did interpret free as "freedom" not free as in
"free lunch" or "beer"