Public Domain and liability

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Mon Aug 7 20:53:12 UTC 2000

I am unsure how this can happen, if we are referring to "public domain" as
that term is used in copyright. Works are not generally *released* to the
public domain since the public domain describes that status of a work as a
matter of law. In this respect, public domain works are not "owned" by
anyone, they belong to the public. Hence, unless an individual believes he
can file suit against the public, there is no one to sue for injuries from
public domain works.

Strictly speaking, this discussion is theoretical since I know of no public
domain works that are software programs. (This is not to say that  there is
not any source code in the public domain).

Rod