The different between GPL and non-license

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Mon Aug 7 18:58:57 UTC 2000

I am not sure what you mean by "non-license." You certainly do not need to
use a license to distribute copyright protected software. On the other hand,
very few developers distribute software without licenses (although I am not
sure why...except to say that many people adopt the behavior of others
without understanding the purpose of doing so).

As for the GPL, there are so many fundamental difference between GPL'd
software and everything else (including public domain software) that I would
suggest a visit to one of the open source websites to begin looking into
this.

If you had a more specific question in mind, could you re-state it?

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University Law School - Camden
www.cyberspaces.org