Aggregation.

kmself at ix.netcom.com kmself at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 6 21:02:42 UTC 2000

On Sat, Aug 05, 2000 at 04:34:49PM +0930, Ross N. Williams wrote:
> Has anyone come up with clean simple language that resolves the
> ambiguity of the concept of "aggregation" in the GNU GPL?
>
> For example Larry Wall felt moved to clarify its application in the
> case of PERL modules (some GPL, some not) that are shipped together
> as code to be executed as a whole. (He said that a module does not fall
> under the GPL unless it's author explicitly places it under the GPL).
> http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/manual/html/READMEs/README

IANAL

My understanding is that licensing terms don't apply to a piece of
software until the author fixes them to the software.  Attempts by
others to apply terms might well be construed as infringement or
misrepresentation of the author's copyright.

Aggregation of non-GPLd and GPLd code in a single work may result in
noncompliance with the terms of the GPL.  I don't see it as resulting in
a preemptive licensing of the additional (previously non-GPLd) code
under the terms of the GPL.

License compliance and application of license are two seperate issues.
Don't confound them.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself at ix.netcom.com>     http://www.netcom.com/~kmself