Eiffel Forum License

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Sat Apr 29 15:23:33 UTC 2000

The Eiffel "license" is quite permissive. It is quite the opposite of the
ATT license in that it may be too "permissive" to constitute an enforceable
agreement...in that it appears to lack consideration. I am most troubled by
the fact that there seem to be NO restrictions on the use of the software.
(The use of the phrase "without license" in a public license is slightly
self-effacing and unreliable). It's fairly well-acknowledged that public
licenses cannot really prematurely push software into the public domain. The
question is: what are you attempting to accomplish by use of a public
license.  Your license has no copyleft provision. Why? There is no explicit
reference to access to source code. Why? These questions are meant to get
you started on considering what your goals are first. Then, draft the
license you think will accomplish those goals.

Rod

Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law
Rutgers University School of Law - Camden
www.cyberspaces.org
rod at cyberspaces.org

Chief Counsel, Cyberlaw
FreeBuyers Net, LLC