AT&T Source Code License

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Apr 28 03:02:36 UTC 2000

This guy is a monster of legalese. I fear that only companies with
lawyers on retainer would dare use any program falling under this.

I dislike all the contract wording. I almost felt that there was going
to be a line at the bottom for me to sign before I could use the
software. Give me a grant of permissions with conditions, not a
frigging contract.

I am also very hesitant about the requirement to regularly
monitor the Website for any notices.

The "Build Materials" definition is pretty broad. Am I right to infer
that this means that my README file must be under a license compatible
with this agreement?

You demand that I ensure all recipients accept this agreement? I
cannot do this without communicating with them in some way, so you are
imposing on me greater responsibilities for the licensing than you
yourself possess. Very lopsided.

Why the h**l am I granting any rights to AT$T. This is ridiculous!

This isn't Open Source Software, in my opinion. It's closed source,
proprietary and fully encumbered software that merely has a lot of
leeway for the user.

--
David Johnson...