Simple Public License, v0.20

Rod Dixon, J.D., LL.M. rod at cyberspaces.org
Wed Apr 26 01:10:08 UTC 2000

Justin,

This version is much improved over the last. I think you will end up with
something very useful. I will offer suggestions on some of the problem
areas, but I like how you are developing your license.

I will focus my comments on section 3 since that is new, but sections 1 and
2 need to be reviewed carefully because some of the language is unclear. For
example, you use the word "improve" when you may mean "modify," and you use
the word "copy" when you should use "distribute." I would also re-think
using "free of charge." "Use Freely" is the FSF concept you might mean;
recall, the cost of the software is not directly pertinent to the open
source mission.

As for section 3, you use "combined work" when I think you mean "collective
work."

The term "bona fide application" has no  meaning or copyright significance.
You need to define this term or abandone it since it could cause substantial
confusion.

The first paragraph of section 3 is a little confusing. I am not sure what
the goal is so I cannot suggest how to make it clearer. I would add that you
may want to be careful with attempting to set restrictions on "combined"
works if the other work is, itself, subject to copyright protection. Your
restrictions may not be enforceable.

Rod
Rod Dixon
Visiting Assistant Professor of Law