Free Software and Public Performance

David Johnson david at usermode.org
Fri Apr 21 01:37:39 UTC 2000

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Mark Koek wrote:

> The interesting question is about the modifications they might make. If
> they have enhanced the GIMP, to get an 'edge' over a competitor who is
> doing the same, should they make their modifications available?

What is the difference between serving out GIMP services and using GIMP
as a business tool? I see two possibilities in using GIMP as a tool in
a web design site. One, the customer can use my HTML form to create the
graphics they need. Two, the customer can use my HTML form to send me
an email specifying what they want, I run it through a script which
automatically mails back the result to them. I don't see a philosphical
difference between the two, yet in one instance I would have to render
up any modifications to GIMP and in the other I don't.

And what of modifications to any software that runs a website? Would
those mods have to be offered as tribute as well?

--
David Johnson...