The word that is "Proprietary"

Tom Hull thull at sco.com
Thu Apr 20 21:42:43 UTC 2000

W. Yip wrote:

> At the risk of nit-picking:
>
> I wish to make a probably novel suggestion that the Open Source Community
> replace the word 'proprietary' with the word 'commodity' in our literature.

For the same of argument, let's call 'the software formerly known as
proprietary' PP, and its opposite !PP, then explore this:

Is 'commodity' a good term? My copy of the Random House Dictionary (2nd ed.)
defines commodity as:

 1. an article of trade or commerce, esp. a product as distinguished
    from a service.
 2. something of use, advantage, or value.
 3. Stock exchange: any unprocessed or partially processed good, as
    grain, fruits, and vegetables, or precious metals.

Working backwards, #3 is not immediately applicable.

#2 is not a distinguishing characteristic between PP and !PP (certainly
not in a way that favors PP).

#1 is unclear. One theory is that when !PP is sold, what is really
being sold is a service, not the software itself. However, when PP
is sold, it is usually just a restrictive right-to-use license, not
the software itself, either. Nor is it mandatory that any service
be provided when !PP is sold.

However, I don't think these definitions are complete. When I think
of "commodity", the meaning that comes to mind is something that is
simple, abundant, interchangeable, and not monopolized. Commodities
are goods that are _only_ subject to the law of supply and demand.
Even if you leave out the non-monopoly attribute, I don't see how
you can use this definition to distinguish PP from !PP.

As for the word 'proprietary', it's hard to think of a better term.
PP can only be based on proprietary rights; !PP may technically be
someone's property, but that someone has chosen to forego various
options that only property holders have, and as such may be viewed
as significantly less proprietary than PP.

--
/*
 * Tom Hull -- thull at sco.com * http://www.ocston.org/~thull