Apache v. GPL

Andrew J Bromage Andrew.Bromage at its.monash.edu.au
Wed Apr 12 00:02:50 UTC 2000

G'day all.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 09:13:21AM -0700, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> The GPL requires people relying on its permissions to grant the same
> permissions to others in order to distribute code.

Of course the copyright holder does not rely on any permissions in
order to distribute their own code.  If I create GPL'd code which I
attempt to combine with pre-existing Apache-licensed code, I am not
bound by the GPL on my own code.  That suggests that for me the two
licenses are "compatible", doesn't it?  I may have effectively stopped
others from redistributing my code, of course, but that's my fault for
choosing an "incompatible" licence.

Cheers,
Andrew Bromage