Dynamic and Static Linking

Martin Konold konold at alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Apr 5 06:47:10 UTC 2000

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, David Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Apr 2000, Martin Konold wrote:
>
> > "wrong to use code in a way the author does not want you to use it"
> >
> > Would you claim the very same for some Microsoft owned ActiveX component?
>
> Yes. If they have an ActiveX component that they had undue
> restrictions on, I wouldn't use it. AFAIK, Microsoft puts all of it's
> "wishes" in it's licenses. If I did stumble across a MS site that said,
> "here is our EULA, but by the way, we wish you wouldn't use this
> component for X, Y or Z, even though we allow you to" then I would
> respect their wishes.

Ok, imagine a simple case: MS asks you to not use any of their components
in order to figure out how their file formats are working. Are you (maybe
you are a GPL Office Suite developer) accepting this?!

Another example: A lot of MS programmers hate if they are bothered by
insecurity news. Are you claiming that "because these authors do not want
you to use their work" in order to figure out the weaknesses of their
implementations you are not going to use their programs/components?

Regards,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Stauffenbergstr. 107, 72074 Tuebingen, Germany  //
KDE:  The most advanced GUI for a reliable OS.