How about license-review at opensource.org?

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Fri Sep 24 02:25:26 UTC 1999

    As to the key players embarassing us by showing that we have a community
    with deep philosophical divides, politics, attitudes, and beliefs

ESR has a right to express his views; I'm relentlessly determined not
to let them be the only views expressed about what our community
should be aiming for and care about.  So when these issues arise here,
I address them.  But if these issues don't arise on this list, that's
fine with me; I won't be the one to raise them here.

    We have a number of people who we _really_ want to put Open Source licenses
    on their products. Some of them have tuned in here, gotten a mailbox full of
    ESR vs. RMS squabbles, and have considered giving up on their Open Source
    license. That can't be allowed to happen again.

If the licenses these people would like to use are Free Software
licenses also, then I agree it is a shame to discourage them.  In the
past few weeks I have discussed some non-license topics on this list,
but it was not I who brought them up.  For example, someone made an
assertion about what free software developers want, and I responded on
that topic.

On one occasion I was the first to talk here explicitly about an issue
which had been raised implicitly just before.  This was when I pointed
out that GNOME is part of the Free Software movement, not part of the
Open Source movement.  I must correct that sort of misattribution when
it arises, so that the Free Software movement will not be lumped in
with the Open Source movement and thus silenced.

I did this with a strictly factual note, carefully not raising the
disagreements between the two movements as issues.  I will try do
likewise in the future, too (at least if I remember about this); so if
the others also refrain from raising those issues, we should be able
to avoid having discussions on them here.