license-review mailing list

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Thu Sep 23 03:38:27 UTC 1999

At 07:19 PM 9/22/99 -0700, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>I probably wouldn't join it, for fear of having a discussion about a
>license suddenly trigger someone's hot button.
>
>I for one have tried to refrain from off-topic things here recently, and I
>do encourage others to do so, but I agree that discussion of license
>conformance necessarily entails some degree of philosophy discussions.

If we are taking votes on this topic, let me concur that after careful
consideration -- and even speaking out that maybe a second list was
necessary -- I'd have to conclude that I agree with Brian completely.
Perhaps this is just a matter that potential licensees need to be exposed
to as well -- that a certain indoctrination by learning and being
well-versed in the philosophies behind (Open Source|Free Software) is part
of the process of crafting an Open Source license.