Corel: No "internal" exemption in GPL

Derek Balling dredd at megacity.org
Wed Sep 22 14:25:41 UTC 1999

But we're not as concerned with the "distribute source" requirement as we
are about the "redistributable" nature of the item in question.

For example:

1.) I get "app A" (licensed under the GPL) from the web. I modify it (make
it faster, say), and I put it on all our servers nationwide. I put a
restriction "for internal use only" on the modified form.

2.) Can some other employee, in another one of my company's offices, see
that the "for internal use only" clause isn't provided for in the GPL, and
redistribute the modified package to a more public audience.

The GPL doesn't seem to explicitly allow me to restrict its flow, so
regardless of whether or not he has a job tomorrow for violating company
policies, the legality is such that I don't think they could actually bust
him on a copyright violation, since any modifications/derivative works HAD
to be under the GPL as well, granting him the right to redistribute the code.

Thoughts?