Who gets stuck with advocacy?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Sep 19 09:03:26 UTC 1999

Justin Wells <jread at fever.semiotek.com>:
> As a "libertarian anarchist", how could you possible claim to want to be
> the representative of others in order to do good?

Easily.  My own goals are served best by changing the world I live in to
be a freer, richer, happier place.

> Can a good student of objectivism ever act altruistically, in order
> to benefit the lot of starving hackers? Can a self-respecting
> anarchist claim to be the public representative of a conforming
> majority?

I'm not an objectivist.  And yes he can, if there is evidence that they
have delegated him the role.

> The libertarian-anarchist position would more likely be a self-interested
> effort to increase one's own reputation, without regard to what anyone
> else thinks. In other words, the reputation game.

Hello?  Anyone who plays the reputation game *must* have regard for
what others think, by definition.  You're confused.

Only *stupid* selfishness ignores the desires and feelings of others.
--

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,