Simple Public License, draft

Ian Lance Taylor ian at airs.com
Wed Sep 1 21:27:52 UTC 1999

   Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 17:10:59 -0400
   From: Justin Wells <jread at semiotek.com>

     Finally, you agree not to use our software to create a competing
     product, meaning one which includes some part of our software, and
     which has, at least in part, a similar purpose.

It's very hard to determine whether two products compete with one
another.  I wouldn't call a license which puts that burden on me
``simple.''

Suppose you simply release the source under the GPL, and make it clear
that you will permit a nontransferrable source license which fewer
restrictions on a case by case basis?

Ian