YAOSL - Yet Another Open Source License v1.03

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Sat Oct 30 03:13:37 UTC 1999

On Thu, 28 Oct 1999, Alex Nicolaou wrote:

> 1. You may distribute complete and verbatim copies of this software and
> all supporting files, provided that you do so without any charge.
>
> 2. You may charge for distributing complete and verbatim copies of this
> software with all supporting files, provided that you conspicuously
> publish on each copy a notice that the distribution includes software
> whose license terms the user must read and accept before using.

Do these two clauses combined mean that I can distribute your software WITHOUT
the license notice so long as I don't charge for it?

> 3. You may modify the software, provided that within 90 days you either
>
>     a) publicly distribute your changes as a source code patch against a
>        currently available version of the software,
> or
>     b) return your modifications to the copyright holder for
> incorporation
>        into the next publicly available version of the software.

What if the modifications are for my own personal use, or the use of my
organization.

> 6. You are not required to distribute your patches under the terms of
> this license. However, by submitting your patches to the copyright
> holder you grant the copyright holder the right to distribute a new
> version of the software that includes your patches under these terms.

Hmmm, possible loophole. If I don't submit my patch to you, but someone
downstream from me does, do you still get to change my patches to your
license?

> 7. If you are unable to follow all of the terms of this license due to
> a court order or any other reason, then the license is void and you are
> prohibited from exercising any of the rights granted by it.

This clause actually affects the normal use of the software. Unisys bitches
because you incorporated a gif, now I am forbidden to even execute the
program.

> 8. If any portion of this license is unenforcible in your jurisdiction
> then the entire license is considered void and not granted, and you
> have no rights regarding the software.

This is similar to the above. What if a nation (France for example) ruled that
something was unenforcable (the 90 days for another example). This would mean
that no one in the nation of France is able to use the software at all.

I think a better solution would be to change this into a severability clause

--
Arandir...