[openip] Re: GNU License for Hardware

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Mon Oct 25 00:53:02 UTC 1999

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Angelo Schneider wrote:

> > If people have to pay per copy, then the program is not free software,
> > and it is also not open source software.
>
> I do not get that.
>
> a) One uses my software to gain profit:
> 	he has to share his profit with me
>
> b) One uses my source to derive work:
> 	he has to chare his work with mine

This is exactly one of the mistake Troll Tech made with their first license. At
first glance, it seemed quite sensible to me: Free for Free Software,
proprietary for proprietary software. What it does however is deny that Free
Software can be commercial software. If all Free Software remains "freeware
with source", then it will never cross the boundaries from hobby programs to
professional programs (professionals get paid).

 --
Arandir...