[openip] Re: GNU License for Hardware

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at xcc.de
Sun Oct 17 22:20:43 UTC 1999

Justin Wells wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 09:33:11PM -0700, David Johnson wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Bruce Perens wrote:
> > > It makes sense that the end-user in general would prefer a "do anything
> > > you want" license.  The important point is that the _author_ often
> > > doesn't prefer this license ...
> >
> > If Open Source is going to be used extensively by commercial
> > concerns, then the needs of the consumer must be taken into
> > account.
>
> No, it doesn't seem to matter. Linux has made significant inroads into
> commercial concerns, and it does not have a "do anything you want" license.
>
> I think developers care a lot more about software licenses than the average
> consumer. Consumers only care about quality, reliability, and price.
>
> Justin

This is because you rarely use the kernel code and build up a
'propriery'(sp?)
system on top of it.
You simply use the kernal as is and provide additional software.
BUT: my point was and is: some hundred people contributed to the
kernel and some thousend people make their living and get welthy by
shrinkwrapping it.

If you, as a kernel contributor, like that: ok.

Regards,
	Angelo