"rights" and "freedoms"

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Sat Oct 16 23:08:04 UTC 1999

      Are you suggesting
    that the concept of "intellectual property" is (or should be) a brief detour
    from which we're about to move back on track?

I cannot speak for jread, but here is my view.

When patents and copyrights were adopted, in general they did not
interfere with the public's use of the works they were designed to
encourage, and they did encourage progress.  I think that made
them overall beneficial systems.

I think that nowadays they are still acceptable systems, perhaps even
beneficial, in the fields where the situation is still that way.  But
that is not the case in software.