YAOSL - Yet Another Open Source License

Alex Nicolaou anicolao at cgl.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Oct 15 02:01:41 UTC 1999

I recently decided I wanted to release a project of mine as open source,
so I set out to find a license that suited me. In the grand tradition of
computer programmers everywhere, I found none that would do and decided
to write my own.

I'm soliciting feedback of all kinds, but kindly keep your comments
related to the license and refrain from attacking my personal habits,
clothing, or family ;-)

I do want to get this one on the list of "approved licenses" and am
trying to work out ways to make it fully compliant. I realize that it
doesn't provide for distribution of binaries generated from modified
sources and am trying to find a way to add this without making the
license substantially longer. Suggestions welcomed.

thanks,
alex

--------------

SOS - Simple Open Source License version 1.0

Copyright (C) 1999, Alex Nicolaou. Distribution of verbatim copies of
this license is permitted. All other rights reserved.

Terms and Conditions

1. You may distribute complete and verbatim copies of this software and
its supporting files, including this license, without restriction,
provided that you do so without any charge.

2. You may charge for and distribute complete and verbatim copies of
this software and its supporting files, including this license,
provided that you conspicuously publish on each copy a notice that
states that the distribution includes open source software whose
license terms the user must read and accept before using.

3. You may modify your copies of the software, provided that you

    a) publicly distribute your changes as a source code patch against a
       publicly available version of the software, or

    b) return your modifications to the copyright holder for
incorporation
       into the next publicly available version of the software.

You may not distribute versions of the software with your patch applied,
although you may include your patches in a subdirectory of the software
specifically provided for this purpose, or provide the software in an
archive format designed to accomodate and apply your patches during
installation on the end user's computer.

4. You may not copy, modify, sublicense, or distribute the software
except as expressly provided under this License. In particular you are
obligated to either publicly distribute your modifications or return
them to the copyright holder even if you are only using the software
personally or within a single organization.

5. You are not required to accept this License, but distribution or
modification of the software indicates your acceptance as these actions
would otherwise be prohibited by law.

6. You are not required to distribute your patches under the terms of
this license. However, by submitting your patches to the copyright
holder you grant the copyright holder the right to distribute a new
version of the software that includes your patches under these terms.

7. No court shall have the power to compel you to break the terms of
this
license, nor free you from its terms. If you are unable to follow all of
the terms of this license then you are prohibited from excersizing any
of
the rights granted by it.

8. If any portion of this license is unenforcable in your jurisdiction
then the entire license is considered void and not granted, and you
have no rights regarding the software.

9. NO WARRANTY. This software is provided "as is" without warranty of
any kind, either expressed or implied, including, but not limited to,
the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular
purpose.  In no event will any copyright holder be liable to you for
damages resulting from the use of this software.