"rights" and "freedoms"

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Fri Oct 15 19:39:55 UTC 1999

L. Peter Deutsch wrote:

> > God knows I don't want to get too far into this brawl, but it's at least
> > worth pointing out that this, like the statements it intends to refute, is
> > just hand-waving.  It's an assertion every bit as unfounded as the ones to
> > which it is a response.  I don't say it's false, just that it's a little
> > odd coming from someone who keeps demanding -- justly -- that his
> > correspondents give evidence for everything they say.
>
> That's fair.  As a start, look at the prices charged by the various Linux
> distributors, and the sizes of their development staffs.  Red Hat is the
> most expensive, and has the largest staff.  (I hope someone will correct me
> if I get any facts wrong.)

How big is the Debian team?

What's RH these days?  50-100 people?  How many developers?

WRT business models, you might want to look at this thread in IWE Forums
where I'm trying to draw a parallel between shrinkwrap vs. services on
the one hand, and authors vs. lawyers on the other.  It's not great, but
it's a start.

I'm now playing critic to someone who's championing the idea <g>....

http://forum.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?2058
http://forum.infoworld.com/threads/get.cgi?2291

--
Karsten M. Self (kmself at ix.netcom.com)