GNU License for Hardware

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Wed Oct 13 21:42:41 UTC 1999

It is a simple fact that the Open Source movement rejects the idea of
talking about users's freedom as an issue in its own right.  If you
ask them, they will say so themselves.  In my view, that is a bad
decision, but they think it is a good one, and that is precisely where
the two movements disagree.

So I stand by what I said.  Precisely because of this agreement
between the two movements, I ask everyone who agrees with the Free
Software movement about this issue to express that agremeent, by using
the term "free" rather than "open".