CORBA and the GPL (was Re: Can Java code EVER be GPLd, at all?)

Ean R . Schuessler ean at novare.net
Mon Nov 22 01:15:02 UTC 1999

Java's RMI facility makes inter-process calls a bit more transparent
than CORBA. Since Java provides a platform neutral programming environment
it is possible to pass objects by value rather than by reference when
making a method call. This facility can make an remotely "linked" object
almost indifferentiable from a local one. Therefore, some GPL'd
infrastructure could be exported via the RMI mechanism and still retain
great utility.

This is why I use the LGPL for Java code, since it focuses on the stored
format of the source as opposed to its runtime mechanics. Additionally,
I am forced to work with commercial systems regularly and the LGPL is
well suited to that situation.