3dfx license

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Mon Nov 22 13:16:32 UTC 1999

Bruce Perens wrote:

> 3DFX GLIDE Source Code General Public License

Um.  This license is clearly a derived work of the GNU GPL.  Was permission
obtained from the FSF?

>         This 3dfx GLIDE Source Code General Public License differs from the
>         standard licenses of this type in that it does not require the entire
>         derivative work to be made available under the terms of this license
>         nor is the recipient required to make available the source code for
>         the entire derivative work. Rather, the license is limited to only the
>         identifiable portion of the derivative work that is derived from the
>         licensed software. The precise terms and conditions for copying,
>         distribution and modification follow.

The intent of this is clear enough: the requirements apply only to the library
as modified, kind of like the LGPL.  But I fear a court would construe
"identifiable portion of the derivative work that is derived from the licensed
software" as meaning any derived work whatever.

Some nailing-down clauses would be useful.

John Cowan	http://www.reutershealth.com		jcowan at reutershealth.com
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis vom dies! / Schliess eurer Aug vor heiliger Schau
Den er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
		-- Coleridge (tr. Politzer)