Draft 1 of the OpenDesk.com Public Source License

David Starner dstarner98 at aasaa.ofe.org
Thu Nov 18 19:43:32 UTC 1999

On Thu, Nov 18, 1999 at 10:38:38AM -0800, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, David Starner wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 11:47:14PM -0800, Arandir wrote:
> >
> > > Whether a project forks or not seems to be determined by factors very distant
> > > from the specific licenses.
> >
> > OTOH, the prototypical massively forked project is BSD, with dozens of
> > forked proprietary Unix's based off it.
>
> Sure.  And the amount of code sharing between NetBSD, OpenBSD, and FreeBSD
> is *much* greater, as best I can tell, than the code sharing between the
> various Linux distributions.

How? Linux distributions, for the most part, have the same upstream source
- to which most apply small, if any, patches to - for the main shell, for the
kernel, for shellutils, for fileutils, for libc, for most of the stuff that
the BSDs have seperate versions for.

Anyway, I specifically didn't mention the free BSD's, as the reason they
forked probably has little to do with the license. I was discussing SunOS,
Aix, BSDi and the other proprietary Unixs that took some to most of their
code from BSD.

David Starner - dstarner98 at aasaa.ofe.org
I see no trend at all, except toward women playing mean and ugly
sociopaths who are good at killing and who enjoy dark powers. Maybe
it's just my friends?
	-- Dr. Kromm, on who plays what type of character in RPGs