Draft 1 of the OpenDesk.com Public Source License

David Starner dvdeug at x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu
Thu Nov 18 04:07:27 UTC 1999

On Wed, Nov 17, 1999 at 05:32:43AM -0500, Alex Nicolaou wrote:
> Bruce Perens wrote:
>
> > Why not dual-license? GPL + anything else you please. That way, if people
> > want to do GPL work, they accept your GPL license. Someone who wants to
> > do commercial work accepts your APSL 1.1 clone.
>
> This is equivalent to forking the project at the start, unless you add
> an addendum to the GPL that stipulates that GPL contributors permit you
> to take their changes and re-release them under the APSL clone. Of
> course, then it's not GPL anymore.

It's possible that it will get forked. Of course, that's possible with
any license that's not a copyleft. In practice, most people will license
their patches under the same license as the main program. You don't
require that GPL contributors permit you to relicense their changes,
you just request it, and don't add any pure GPL code to your program.
Most people will work with you.

David Starner - dstarner98 at aasaa.ofe.org
I see no trend at all, except toward women playing mean and ugly
sociopaths who are good at killing and who enjoy dark powers. Maybe
it's just my friends?
	-- Dr. Kromm, on who plays what type of character in RPGs