Can you alter the MIT license? (2)

Angelo Schneider angelo.schneider at xcc.de
Wed Nov 17 15:10:15 UTC 1999

Hi Bruce,
Hi all,

Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: "Scott Johnston" <johnston at vectaport.com>
> > A better example is Bruce Perens GPL'ing of the
> > public domain TIGER map database last year from the US Census Bureau.
>
> I am skating on thin ice on that one because it's a collection of facts
> and not in itself copyrightable under current law. Thus you should not use

The facts it self are not copyrightable. But someone collected that
facts and
placed them on "paper".

This paper is copyrighted by the author.

It does not matter if the paper is in fact a CD or a database.

> it as an example. I can hold a copyright on certain aspects of the data,
> such as its representation, but I can't copyright the fact that a street
> runs between two coordinates.
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Bruce

Hint to derivation, or derived work:

Transforming some sheets of paper with facts on it into
a database is also a derived work, like transforming some source code
into some other source code.

Regards,
	Angelo