Can Java code EVER be GPLd, at all?

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Mon Nov 15 06:22:03 UTC 1999

On Sun, 14 Nov 1999, Justin Wells wrote:
> What about adding a term like this to a copyright license:
>
>   A software program or library that has to be combined with an original
>   work in order to be fully functional forms a derived work of the original
>   even if they are not combined prior to use. Thus "runtime linked"
>   programs form derived works of the material they link with.

I would use a different word than "derive". To quote from Bruce Perens
commentary on the OS definition: "Derivation is when a program actually
incorporates part of another program into itself." Runtime linking doesn't do
this exactly, and the use of "derive" may confuse people.

>   2. It should exempt you from being a derived work if it turns out
>      that you could link against a different, compatible library
>      instead--providing you were "fully functional" there as well.

What about cases where the developer uses preprocessing macros to determine at
compile time which library to link to. In such a case there could be code that
says:
#ifdef HAVE_JW_LIB
	foo = coolFunc(cool params);
#else
	foo = coolFunc(mundane params);
#endif

> If you think there is a problem with this, and I'm sure that there will
> be problems noted, please take the time to propose a solution.

I would reword it to emphasize the fact that it applies to runtime linking of
your library. Otherwise it could be argued that you are trying to copyright an
API. Try something like "only software licensed under the XXX license may
link with this software, whether or not the linkage is made at compile time,
runtime, locally, over a network, or any other form of software linkage." And
to clarify that the end user still has some freedom, add an additional clause
similar to: "execution of the software does not constitute linkage."

Or have I totally misread your intentions?

--
Arandir...