Can Java code EVER be GPLd, at all?

Arandir arandir at meer.net
Sun Nov 14 02:28:32 UTC 1999

On Sat, 13 Nov 1999, Justin Wells wrote:

> Obviously you are legally correct WRT to the GPL, or at least it seems
> to me that you are. That's why I'm raising the question.
>
> You may not agree that what the GPL does is good: force other peoples
> software to become GPL'd software because it uses GPL'd code. I think
> this is good, and I am trying to work out how to accomplish the same
> for Java code.

But the GPL does *not* restrict how you use GPL code :-) It only restricts how
you modify it, distribute it or its modifications.

In the case of java code, the end user is doing none of the above. However, if
I, as a java developer, distributed your class along with mine, then the GPL
may come into effect. On the other hand, if I distribute my own classes without
yours, and only specify your API, I am fully in the clear.

You could create a GPL-like license that includes restrictions on runtime
linking. But you run the risk of end users violating your license unwittingly
and with extreme regularity. If you desire that no *developer* can use your
classes against your wishes I would look at something other than runtime
linking for your solution.

Remember that the first "freedom" of Free Software is "The freedom to run the
program, for any purpose".

> Java links at runtime. Although often compiled against the actual source
> code in the first place, none of the original source is actually copied
> into the new class. Just references to names.

This is exactly the case with C programs that dynamically link to C libraries.
Unless the library developer used inlines or certain macros, only the library
API is ever used.

> Right now nobody can make my code non-free, but my code is not contributing
> to the creation of any new free software, and I would like it to.

Adding additional restrictions to your code would discourage even more
developers from using it.

--
Arandir...