FSF political activism

J.H.M. Dassen jdassen at wi.leidenuniv.nl
Fri May 21 06:55:11 UTC 1999

On Thu, May 20, 1999 at 19:28:00 -0700, phred at teleport.com wrote:
> I'm unclear on this notion of the FSF as a "political activist
> organization."

Check out http://www.fsf.org/ :
:The FSF supports the
:<A HREF="/philosophy/basic-freedoms.html">freedoms of speech, press, and
:association</A> on the Internet,
:
:<A HREF="http://www.eff.org/goldkey.html">the right to use encryption
:software for private communication</A>, and the
:
:<A HREF="/philosophy/protecting.html">right to write software</A>
:unimpeded by private monopolies.

While the FSF itself may not be directly politically active, it certainly
takes sides in issues such as these, and brings its opionion to the
attention of the free software community, encouraging people to support
organisations like the LPF and EFF (which are political activists) in these
causes.

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go