GPL and LGPL question

Bruce Perens bruce at va.debian.org
Wed May 19 14:47:23 UTC 1999

> I can't make any money off of
> that code with programs that I DON'T want to release the source for.

I think you may be suffering from a common misconception. As the
copyright holder, you may release your code under _any_number_ of
licenses _simultaneously_. The GPL does not tie your hands from doing
so. It only gives you a few obligations to people to whom you distributed
a GPL version, and only for _that_version_.

To reiterate, GPL-ing something does not bind you to use the GPL _exclusively_,
and does not prevent you from putting a commercial license on your own work
and making money from it right now.

I'm quite sure about this. Is it not what you were told on the kernel list?

	Thanks

	Bruce