GPL and LGPL question

Pat St. Jean psj at cgmlarson.com
Tue May 18 22:10:04 UTC 1999

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Seth David Schoen wrote:

>The "execution of an additional license" doesn't come into this question
>at all, but the "all to whom the program is redistributed" does.

(referring to the LGPL, clause 3)

In my opinion, it does.  These licenses, since they don't have signatures
attached to them, are "delivery" licenses.  That's my term, and my legal
dictionary is at home.  What I'm trying to say is that the licensee is
bound by the terms of the license upon use of the code.  Since the act of
using the code could be construed as an execution of a license, the switch
from LGPL to GPL could be an additional execution, depending on how well
your attorney can argue that point.

>Perhaps OSD 7 should say "the rights guaranteed by the Open Source
>Definition" instead of "the rights attached to the program".

That would definitely clear things up.  But so would striking LGPL clause
3.  IMHO, the better solution.

Pat

Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj at cgmlarson.com
Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115
Larson Software Technology                        http://www.cgmlarson.com