A new open source license

Ken Arromdee arromdee at inetnow.net
Mon May 17 14:47:42 UTC 1999

On Mon, 17 May 1999, [iso-8859-2] Matìj Cepl wrote:
> 	[MCepl]  I am not sure, that you are correct. What clause five
> actually says is, that GNU GPL is accepted by conduct rather than by
> giving notice of acceptance to offerror (in this case author of
> software). It is not saying, that you accepted, but rather that you are
> deemed to accept it. In other words, you cannot do any listed action
> without permission from author (due to Copyright Act).

But if you do do them anyway, you've broken the copyright law, not accepted
the license.

I don't know if there is such a thing as "accepted by conduct" in US
copyright law (I haven't heard anything about Czech law, of course).  And even
if there is, it might not apply if accepting the license violates some _other_
law (re: MOSIX).