gpl backlash?

Wilfredo Sanchez wsanchez at apple.com
Thu Jul 29 17:24:53 UTC 1999

| You could also write your own whiteroom implementation of readline. Why
| aren't you considering this? The answer is easy: your time is too
| precious to reinvent everything. And readline is implemented
pretty well
| already. But it has it's price (accepting the GPL) - if the price
is too
| much, then leave it. This is not philosophy, this is business. Every
| business deal is aimed to make profit, and the GPL-type of profit is to
| have more and more good code available under the GPL.

  Yes, I'm aware of that.

  My point is that the goal of the GPL you outline above isn't
necessarily the best thing for improving the software, which is also
a goal of many developers.

	-Fred

       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez at apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD
          Technical Lead, Darwin Project
   1 Infinite Loop, 302-4K, Cupertino, CA 95014