gpl backlash?

Forrest J. Cavalier III mibsoft at mibsoftware.com
Wed Jul 28 03:05:52 UTC 1999

> Postulate that you write an application that works with a library full of
> no-op stubs. That library just happens to match the interface of a GPL-ed
> product I've written, and with that library it is a functioning product. Then
> you ship that application with the _intent_ that the user combine it with my
> library to run it, which is demonstrated by the fact that it doesn't do useful
> work any other way or you haven't shipped an alternative library to that same
> user. I think I'd have a legitimate complaint.

If the application was created without ever using the GPL-ed code,
it is clearly not a derivative work until the end user combines it
with the GPL-ed code.

Even if the GPL-ed code was used for testing purposes, I believe
the courts consider that "fair use" and not creating a derivative
work.

Forrest J. Cavalier III, Mib Software  Voice 570-992-8824
The Reuse RKT: Efficient awareness for software reuse: Free WWW site
lists over 6000 of the most popular open source libraries, functions,
and applications.  http://www.mibsoftware.com/reuse/