gpl backlash?

Wilfredo Sanchez wsanchez at apple.com
Tue Jul 27 22:49:09 UTC 1999

| For example, I'd submit that _reference_ is derivation where
software is
| concerned. If you call into my library from your program, it's a
derived
| work. However, copyright law doesn't take that into account and is only
| concerned with copying.

  And therein lies a serious problem, because I think your assertion
is a load of hooey.  Just becuase I have code that make calls to a
certain API, which you happen to have implemented, doesn't mean that
I'm deriving from your code.

  I might write code against the POSIX foobar() API, and maybe
someone drops a GPL'ed implementation of libfoobar in place of the
dylib (with a free implementation) that I was using, doesn't make my
code derived.

  And it doesn't matter who is right here; my point is we can't know.

	-Fred

       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez at apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD
          Technical Lead, Darwin Project
   1 Infinite Loop, 302-4K, Cupertino, CA 95014