gpl backlash?

bruce at perens.com bruce at perens.com
Tue Jul 27 20:10:24 UTC 1999

Part of the problem is that _copyright_law_ doesn't define derived work in
terms that make much sense for _software_ rather than a printed work, film, or
sound recording.

For example, I'd submit that _reference_ is derivation where software is
concerned. If you call into my library from your program, it's a derived
work. However, copyright law doesn't take that into account and is only
concerned with copying.

So, the GPL and all other software licenses that deal with derived works
are left to fill in the blanks in the law. None of them do it very well.

	Thanks

	Bruce