gpl backlash?

Wilfredo Sanchez wsanchez at apple.com
Tue Jul 27 19:11:06 UTC 1999

| Obviously, the GPL is aimed at being "user-protective" rather than
| "business-protective".

  No.  It's "author-protective".  You write software.  You want
people to use it (for whatever reasons), but you have certain
restrictions you use on usage to protect you as the author.  This is
that case with pretty much every license.  In the GPL's case, the
restriction is that derivative works are also GPL'ed.

  Now I'm the user, and I want to write some software which maybe
uses a snippet of code from bash.  For example, maybe I want to use
readline.  Well, now I'm forced to GPL my work.  That's not
protecting me as the user; that's "protecting" the authors of
readline.  Even so, it's hardly "protecting" the author: his code
remains free no matter what I do with it.

  It's more of a trade.  I use that code in exchange for making my
code GPL'ed as well.  For some code I may be willing to do that.  On
the other hand, for some code, maybe I'm not.  This is not tied to me
being a business.  Maybe I don't agree with that philosophy, and
would rather write and use code that is less restrictive, and
although I think software should be open, I don't feel the need to
impose that view on my users.  So maybe the GPL doesn't work for me.

	-Fred

       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez at apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD
          Technical Lead, Darwin Project
   1 Infinite Loop, 302-4K, Cupertino, CA 95014