Zeratec Public License

John Cowan cowan at locke.ccil.org
Tue Jul 13 21:59:06 UTC 1999

Forrest J. Cavalier III wrote:

>  In
> fact, could you GPL it, and include a notice along the lines of "if you
> want to use our trademarks, certification marks, etc. contact
> us for a different agreement." That would clean up the open
> source license a great deal, I think.

The point is that Zeratec has a *patented algorithm*, not a piece
of code.  (Whether patented algorithms are a Good Thing is out of
scope here.)  Zeratec's intent, as I understand it, is to license people
to use the *patent* when creating software that is covered by the
GPL or similar open-source license.  Closed-source software
creators have to negotiate a separate patent license.

So this license is not parallel to the GPL or any existing
*copyright* license; it's another thing altogether.

	John Cowan	http://www.ccil.org/~cowan	cowan at ccil.org
Schlingt dreifach einen Kreis um dies! / Schliesst euer Aug vor heiliger Schau,
Denn er genoss vom Honig-Tau / Und trank die Milch vom Paradies.
			-- Coleridge / Politzer