support requirement

Dj dj at evnull.com
Mon Aug 30 21:38:09 UTC 1999

Seth David Schoen wrote:

> This can be put a little less harshly.

I did have my <DEVILSADVOCATE> tags on B)

> The canonical comment that I think of on this subject is Jamie Zawinski's
> phrase "magic pixie dust".
>
>         http://www.jwz.org/gruntle/nomo.html
>
> Just because something is released under an Open Source license does not
> guarantee its the unconditional embrace by the community.  Choosing a
> standard free license is one thing that could help on that score.

But then, if the license is open source or a standard open source license, we
still have the possibility that it will *still* get reimplemented. Remember that
we started here with the suggestion that the GPL was "magic pixie dust" in
terms of community acceptance.

Dj