Essay RFC delayed.

Bojay Iversen signal11 at mediaone.net
Sat Aug 28 06:37:47 UTC 1999

"Eric S. Raymond" wrote:
> happen.  These things are never simple.

No, they aren't.  I don't care who gets the credit - you, richard, bruce -
it doesn't matter to me.  What I do care about is the community that has
sprung up around the ideals of freedom of software and freedom of
information.  As a member of this community, I want to see it succeed.
As a member of society, I want people everywhere to reap the fruits of
our labor.  We all helped open the door to a brave new world.  A world
where you have all the blueprints to build it, tinker with it, and most
importantly - improve on it.

I want to live in that world - desperately.  I like tinkering with things.
I'm the kind of person that takes things apart, just to see how they work.
I can't tell you how many VCRs I took apart to figure out how the tape winds
around all those cylinders, or how many late nights I spent wondering around
campus tracing down wires just to see where they went.

Not everybody has that kind of curiosity.  Infact, I've found very few people
have it.  Eric, you're the bridge between us and them.  Don't go and burn that
bridge down because a few people disagree with how you built it.

I hope I didn't come off as being too terribly utopian.  ;)  I'm young and
inexperienced.  As such, I welcome any thoughts anybody here might have.

--
Signal 11, BOFH to the UF list and malign.net
"Once I take over the world, remind me to snub you."  Brain